Chapter Five:  Fiscal Affairs

Procedure Title:  Travel Authorization and Accounting
Based on:  Board Policies 3 and 7
Procedure Number:  5.04b
Date Adopted/Revised:  June 25, 2001; November 21, 2006; May 15, 2007; September 24, 2015

  1. The College will provide a College vehicle, when possible, for all official travel for the College except as noted in the travel between campuses section of this manual.

  2. When College transportation is not available, individuals may be reimbursed for using their private vehicles or utilize a rental vehicle as described in APM 5.04a (XI).

  3. Travel authorizations should be processed electronically no less than 3 weeks prior to travel or to deadlines for registration or lodging, whichever is sooner.  This will allow for reasonable processing of appropriate requisitions and actual booking of appropriate travel requirements.  All airfare plans must be booked no less than 2 1/2 weeks prior to departure or written justification must be submitted regardless of how it is paid.  Any travel less than 3 weeks prior to travel deadlines can result in individual paying and requesting reimbursement as long as proper authorizations are in place prior.

  4. Travel reimbursement forms are available on the College's website, and must be completed by the traveler and submitted to the traveler’s Chief Officer or designee for approval in all cases.

  5. If a person wishes to assure a state vehicle at a particular time for local travel, he/she may complete a request for it.

      1. A Governor’s Policy Directive requires that the President approve any out-of-state travel.
      2. When travel requests are received by the Business Office, a College vehicle will be reserved and a copy of the employee’s travel request form will be returned to the employee.
      3. If a College vehicle is not available, the Business Office will contact the traveler to make other arrangements.
      4. Keys are available from the Business Office on the West Campus.  Credit cards are to be kept in the individual vehicle front storage compartment and utilize security PIN numbers based on Fleet Program and Office of State Procurement policies.
      5. A person using a private vehicle must have liability insurance in accordance with at least the minimum as set by state statutes.
      6. Proof of insurance must be filed with the Travel Supervisor before a privately owned vehicle may be used for College business.
      7. Vehicle log sheets are in each vehicle and must be recorded for each trip including in-town and between campuses.
      8. Information from these log sheets is used to complete reports to the State Motor Vehicle Section.
  6. The College reserves the right to deny persons authority to drive College vehicles. In order to operate a College vehicle, employees must:

      1. Complete an Acceptance of Privilege to Operate a State Vehicle form
      2. Furnish a copy of their driver’s license
      3. Consent to allow the institution or its insurance carrier to verify their driving record
      4. Wear seat belts while traveling on state business
      5. Not exceed the point total set by the State of Arkansas
  7. The Travel Supervisor will provide College travelers with College credit cards which:

      1. Should be used only at the stations of the issuing card company
          1. Vehicle repairs that cost more than $100 should be approved by the Business Office before granting approval to a vendor or repair person to proceed with the service or repair.

          2. Credit card receipts must indicate the vehicle license number, gallons purchased, price per gallon, and total cost.

      2. May be used for gasoline, oil, minor vehicle repairs or maintenance items
      3. Should be used to purchase gasoline from self-service stations or from the service station with the lowest available cost.
      4. May not be used for lodging or other purchases.
      5. Travelers should not pay themselves and ask for reimbursement.
      6. Fuel cards are not to be used for personal vehicles.
      7. Specially identified fuel cards are to be used for rental vehicles and maintenance off-road fuel purchases.
  8. Insurance cards and vehicle registration certificates have been placed in the glove compartments of College vehicles. All accidents or breakdowns involving College vehicles should be:

      1. Reported to the Chief Fiscal Officer, 862-8131, as soon as possible.
      2. If an accident occurs involving a state vehicle, law enforcement officials should be notified in order to have an accident report available for the insurance company.
      3. If a state vehicle involved in a wreck in Pulaski County and cannot be driven from the site of the accident, make arrangements to have the vehicle towed to State Marketing and Redistribution at 6620 Young Road, Little Rock, (565-8645).
      4. If the wreck occurs outside of Pulaski County, arrange to have the vehicle towed to a state facility (such as a vocational-technical school), if one is within 20 miles of the accident. If none is nearby, the vehicle may be taken to a private business.
  9. If a traveler has mechanical problems or finds a state vehicle in need of maintenance, he/she should report the services needed to the Director of the Physical Plant.

  10. Travelers who plan to leave before 7:00 a.m. or return after 9:00 p.m. may request permission from the Travel Supervisor to keep a vehicle overnight. Otherwise all vehicles must be housed on campus at night unless specific exemptions have been received from the Governor’s Office or vehicles are used for student transportation and are kept by the drivers for the route.