Chapter Two:  Personnel
Procedure Title: Campus Accident or Health Emergencies
Based On: Board Policy 3
Procedure Number: 2.06a
Date Adopted/Revised: May 15, 2007; March 29, 2010

In the event of a potentially life-threatening illness or injury, the individual who witnesses the illness or accident should immediately dial 911 and ask for an ambulance, particularly if the ill or injured party is unconscious. The individual calling should give SACC’s street address and identify the building where assistance is needed.

For non-life-threatening illness or injury, the individual should immediately notify Campus Security (Ext. 125 or 866-9209). If on the West Campus, employees may also notify the Dean of Health and Natural Sciences (Ext. 102). If on the East Campus, a “runner” will be dispatched to the Medical Professions class to notify the Nurse. While the employees in these areas do not have the ability to provide first aid or other emergency services, these individuals are willing to assist in determining the need for evacuation from the area and the means of transportation.

Upon the arrival of the Emergency Medical Services unit, patient contact will be made, but NO charges are incurred unless the individual signs a form agreeing to be transported. If the individual is unresponsive, transport by ambulance falls under “implied consent.” The injured or ill individual will be charged only if transported by EMS. Neither of the EMS services charges for NO TRANSPORT /CANCELLED ON SCENE or CANCELLED EN ROUTE.

In the event of a potentially life-threatening accident or illness, call in the following order:

  1. 911 and ask for an ambulance.
  2. Campus Security at Ext. 125, at 866-9209 (cell phone), or if on the West Campus by picking up the red emergency phones located around the campus.
  3. Dean of Health and Natural Sciences at Ext. 102 or Ext. 424 (If on the West Campus).
  4. Vice President of Learning at Ext. 155 or if on the East Campus call the Dean of Business and Technical Education at Ext. 410.

A written Accident/Illness Report Form should be filed with Campus Security by a College employee (or student) who witnesses or is called to an accident or an illness situation.