South Arkansas Historical Journal
Volume 4, Fall 2004
Published by the South Arkansas Historical Society
From the Editors:
History is often remembered as a series of dates and faded images, but it is the lives of people who make the past worth remembering and bring the past back to life. For our fourth edition of the South Arkansas Historical Journal, we celebrate the lives of the pioneers who helped build South Arkansas, from the Native American heritage dating back thousands of years to the technological society of the twentieth century.
For one family in particular, the descendants of the Rev. William Sterling Lacy, their roots run deep into the history of Union County and fill the lives of the community in the present. Lacy, the founder of a local school and the first Presbyterian church in the area, helped build the community. One of his descendants, M. Angela Crawford, recalls the history of a remarkable family. Bart Reed writes of another branch of the Lacy Family and their popular family auto repair business in El Dorado.
Before the Americans, the Native Americans called South Arkansas their home. Worth Camp, Jr., presents a history of the Choctaws of South Arkansas, a rich Native American culture that dominated the region in the eighteenth century and whose descendants still live throughout the state. Mr. Camp also regales us with tales from the Hunter-Dunbar Expedition of 1804 and 1805, which explored the Ouachita River Valley when its wonders were mostly a secret from Europeans.
Novelist Bill Crumpler presents a reenactment of the days of the Camden Expedition, in which Union and Confederate armies clashed in 1864 Ouachita County in the midst of the Civil War.
In commemoration of the 175th anniversary of the birth of Union County, organized on November 2, 1829, we have included a chronology of memorable events in the county’s history.
We thank all of those who assisted us with our research, recovering photographs and inspiring us to recover the stories of those distant days. Again, special thanks to our members and the South Arkansas Historical Foundation for helping bring these lives into the light of the present once more.
The South Arkansas Historical Journal, established in 2001, is an annual publication of the South Arkansas Historical Society made possible through the generous support of members and the South Arkansas Historical Foundation.