Veterans' Affairs

Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Prior service members honorably discharged and having served at least 24 months and Active Duty personnel 

First-time applicants must complete VA Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Education Benefits). Veterans must also provide a copy of the “Member-4" page of the DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty). Active Duty personnel must have their Education Services Officer complete Part II of the VA Form 22-1990. 

If the veteran contributed to the $600 “kicker” (to receive an additional $150 per month), a copy of the LES or voucher needs to be attached to the application packet to ensure proper payment. 

If a veteran participated in the College Fund, the Department of Defense will provide confirmation information to the VA for proper payment. 

Transfer students, or SouthArk students who have changed their academic degree objective after already receiving VA benefits under Chapter 30, must complete the VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training).

Chapter 31

Vocational Rehabilitation 

Veterans may be eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment benefits if they have a service-connected disability or disabilities rated by the VA at 10 percent or greater. For more information, go to and click on Vocational Rehab & Employment Services, or call the VA at 1-800-827-1000 and request an application (VA Form 22-1990).

If you are authorized Vocational Rehabilitation, the VA will notify SouthArk, and we will inform the Business Office and the Bookstore about your sponsorship. Although tuition and fees are paid in full, students are responsible for submitting fee bills prior to the payment deadline. Failure to do so will result in schedules being purged for non-payment.

Chapter 35

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance

First-time applicants need to complete VA Form 22-5490 (Application for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance). Dependents or spouses of 100 percent VA-rated disabled or deceased veterans should provide a copy of their birth certificates or marriage licenses when applying to facilitate processing by the VA. 

Transfer students, or students changing their degree objectives after receiving Chapter 35 benefits, need to complete VA Form 22-5495 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training).

Chapter 1606/1607

Reservists, National Guard members and U.S. Coast Guard members 

First-time applicants need to complete VA Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Education Benefits) and provide a copy of the DD Form-2384 (Notice of Basic Eligibility ©NOBEª).

Some Chapter 1606 applicants are eligible for the “Selective Reserves Kicker” that can increase the monthly rate from $100 to $350, depending on the MOS of the reservist. If applicants are eligible for the “kicker,” they need to provide a copy of the contract.

Transfer students, or students changing their degree objectives after receiving VA benefits, need to complete VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training).

Both Chapters 30 and Chapter 1606 students are required to verify their enrollment on or after the last day of each benefit month by calling the VA at 1-877-823-2378 or by accessing the VA website (

Students will be prompted by the automated system to provide their VA file numbers (SSN) and passwords (first time password is the last 6 digits of your SSN).

Chapter 33 / Post 9/11

Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) Payment Rates For 2012 Academic Year (August 1, 2012 - July 31, 2013) 
The Post-9/11 GI Bill program is comprised of multiple payments. All payments and maximum amounts listed on this page are applicable to individuals eligible for the full benefit (100% eligibility tier). If you are not eligible for the full benefit, the payment and maximum amounts listed will be prorated based on your eligibility percentage. Under the Post-9/11 GI Bill you may receive a:

For more information visit the United States Department of Veteran's Affairs


Congress passed, and the President has signed into law, the VOW to Hire Heroes Act of 2011. Included in this new law is the Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP). VRAP offers up to 12 months of training assistance to unemployed Veterans. 

The VRAP offers 12 months of training assistance to Veterans who:

  • Are at least 35 but no more than 60 years old
  • Are unemployed on the date of application
  • Received an other than dishonorable discharge
  • Are not be eligible for any other VA education benefit program (e.g.: the Post-9/11 GI Bill, Montgomery GI Bill, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Assistance)
  • Are not in receipt of VA compensation due to unemployability
  • Are not enrolled in a federal or state job training program

The program is limited to 45,000 participants from July 1, 2012, through September 30, 2012, and 54,000 participants from October 1, 2012, through March 31, 2014. Participants must attend full-time in order to receive up to 12 months of assistance equal to the monthly full-time payment rate under the Montgomery GI Bill–Active Duty program ($1,564 effective October 1, 2012). DOL will offer employment assistance to every Veteran who participates upon completion of the program. 

Participants must be enrolled in a VA approved program of education offered by a community college or technical school. The program must lead to an Associate Degree, Non-College Degree, or a Certificate, and train the Veteran for a high demand occupation. 

For more information visit the United States Department of Veteran's Affairs, Education


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What courses will the VA pay for?

The VA does not pay for courses which are not prerequisites or required in students’ degree programs. Students are responsible for ensuring that the courses apply toward their degrees. If they are not sure, they should consult with their academic advisors. If students wish to take courses that are not required, we will certify only the required courses and report a change in status affecting only those courses.

Does VA pay for repeated courses?

VA will pay for repeated courses as long as they are required and the grades previously earned do not meet degree requirements. Enrolling again in a course from which a student withdrew is not considered a repeated course. If a student declares academic bankruptcy, the VA does not pay for repeated courses unless the student earned an unsatisfactory grade the first time the student attempted the course.

Does the VA pay for remedial or refresher courses?

The VA will pay for a remedial course if the student has a deficiency in the subject. The VA will not pay for refresher courses.

What happens when a student withdraws from a course or resigns?

If the withdrawal changes the student’s enrollment status, the VA will reduce the student’s rate of pay. If the withdrawal occurs during the drop/add period, as defined by the VA, an adjustment is made on the rate of pay. If the withdrawal occurs after the drop/add period, the reduction may create an overpayment, unless there are mitigating circumstances. If there are mitigating circumstances, the student must submit a “Statement in Support of Claim” to the VA. The statement needs to include the VA file number. If the VA does not approve the claim, the overpayment is applied retroactively to the beginning of the semester. The only exception is the “one-time up to six-hour exclusion” which does not require mitigating circumstances.

What happens when a student is deployed?

If students are deployed, they should contact the Office of Veterans Affairs immediately and, if possible, provide copies of their orders. If resignations or changes of status occur for this reason, the VA will not charge students with overpayments, provided they submit documentation. Students must contact their deans’ offices to initiate resignations. Students who were deployed for Operations Enduring Freedom and Noble Eagle were given 100 percent refunds of tuition and most fees. A copy of the University policy on military deployment is available in the Office of Veterans Affairs. Students who resign because they are deployed need to re-apply for admission, if they are not enrolled for a regular semester. The application fee is waived with proper documentation of the deployment.

What are the VA monthly pay rates?

Current monthly rates for education benefits can be found on the VA website,

How does the VA pay monthly benefits?

With the exception of advance pay, the VA pays at the end of each benefit month. Students receiving Chapter 30 and 1606 benefits are required to “verify” their enrollment status on or after the last day of the month. Students may verify by calling the toll-free number (1-877-823-2378) or by accessing the VA website (

Upon verification, the VA will process the payment and send it to the student either by mail or direct deposit. It is highly recommended that students elect the direct deposit option to eliminate lost or stolen checks. In addition, students using direct deposit receive benefits in four or five working days as opposed to seven to ten days by mail.

Chapter 35 does not yet have the direct deposit option.

How do I know if I qualify for VA educational benefits?

If you believe that you may be eligible for any of the above VA education benefits, you can visit the VA website ( and click on any of the topics about which you are interested. If you need to submit a form to the Office of Veterans Affair or the VA, click on the “forms” button. Some forms are also available on this website and in Office of Veterans Affairs.