The Skilled Trades Helper works under general supervision and assists in one or more of the following skilled trades areas: plumbing, electrical, carpentry or mechanical as necessary for the maintenance and upkeep of South Arkansas Community College and/or other areas as requested. The position will assist and support the Institutional Services Assistants assigned to the building. This position is governed by state and federal laws and South Arkansas Community College policy.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Checks all areas of building for non-working lights, changes out ballasts, transformers, fuses, or switches as needed.
- May provide assistance in the repair of air, gas, water or waste disposal systems.
- May provide assistance in painting, plastering or preparing surfaces for repair or re-finishing.
- May provide assistance in all areas of carpentry.
- Assists in inspection of facility and provides preventative maintenance as necessary.
- Provides assistance to the conference center director with set-ups, tear-downs and clean ups, making sure all event set-ups are handled in a timely manner.
- Assists in cleaning after events.
- Maintains all outside ground areas of the South Arkansas Community College including mowing, weed removal, edging, and other grounds maintenance necessary or required.
- Before 7:30 each morning the following tasks will be performed:
- All sidewalks are cleaned and blown free of any trash or debris
- All trash will be picked up from grounds and disposed
- Any mowing or weed eating of the grounds
- Other duties as required or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
Knowledge of basic measuring tools, equipment, and materials used in the various skilled trades and grounds keeping. Ability to perform manual labor under various working conditions. Ability to use hand and power tools in the various working conditions. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions. Ability to communicate information and ideas in various environments. Skill in the use, operation and care of tools and machinery. Ability to work independently without close supervision. Ability to perform multiple tasks and to prioritize assignments/set-ups. Ability to do required lifting which may exceed 50 pounds at times.
Minimum qualifications for the position include: Completion of sufficient education or training to read and write; plus one year experience in a skilled trades area.
APPLICATION PROCESS (PLEASE FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS TO APPLY)
Applicants must complete the South Arkansas Community College application form available at www.southark.edu or from the Human Resources Office. Resumes, transcripts, and reference list may accompany, but will not replace the application. Official Transcripts must be on file with the Human resources Office before an offer is made to the successful candidate. Return application to the South Arkansas Community College Human Resources Office, P. O. Box 7010, 300 South West Ave, El Dorado, Arkansas 71731-7010. Telephone (870) 862-8131 ext. 146.
Fill out application located at this link: http://www.southark.edu/app
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. AA/EOE. Applications are subject to the Arkansas FOIA.
Chosen Candidate will be required to submit to a criminal background check and have acceptable background results, provide any certificates of training (if the candidates possess any) or Licenses, Official Transcripts (for positions requiring undergraduate or graduate education), must have a clean driving record, and must complete all new hire paperwork prior to starting work.