Types of Financial Aid

Federal Pell Grant. This federally funded program is designed to provide financial assistance to individuals to attend institutions of higher education. Eligibility is determined according to a congressionally mandated formula that computes the expected family contribution. The aid administrator at the school the student attends must calculate the actual amount of the student's award based upon the expected family contribution, the cost of attendance, and the student's enrollment status.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG). This program provides grants to students with exceptional financial need. Funds are provided by the federal government and administered by the College.

Federal Work-Study Program. This program provides part-time employment opportunities for students who have financial need. Most work-study jobs are on campus, but in some instances students are referred to off-campus nonprofit agencies. At South Arkansas College, students work an average of six to twenty hours per week. Students are paid once per month.

Students eligible for work-study should access SouthArk’s website, www.southark.edu, for information on how to apply and for current job listings. Work-study eligibility does not guarantee students a job. The work allowance awarded represents the maximum amount students can earn under the program during the school year.

Institutional Employment. A small number of students are employed each year in short term, part-time jobs. Students receive minimum wage. Interested students should apply in the Financial Aid Office.

Federal Direct Loan. This program enables students to receive low-interest subsidized or unsubsidized loans to finance educational expenses. If a student receives a subsidized loan, the federal government pays the interest while the student is in school, during the grace period, and during periods of deferment. If a student receives an unsubsidized loan, he/she is responsible for the interest on the loan from the time of issue. Payments normally begin six months after the student graduates, drops below half-time, or withdraws from college. Students may be allowed up to 10 years to repay the loan. The amount of each monthly payment depends upon the size of  the debt. Repayment schedules are provided by the lender.  Aid administrators may refuse to  vertify a loan application or may reduce the amount of the loan if they document the reason and provide an explanation to the student in writing.

Arkansas Department of Higher Education. The ADHE administers financial aid programs for Arkansas undergraduate students that include Arkansas Academic Challenge Scholarships, Workforce Improvement Grant, GO Grant, Governor’s Scholars, Law Enforcement Officers Dependents’ Scholarships, and the MIA/KIA Dependents’ Scholarship. More information about these and other forms of financial aid available from the ADHE is available at scholarships.adhe.edu.

Veterans' Affairs

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Work Study

The Federal Work-Study (WS) program is a way for students to earn money to help pay for their educational expenses.

There are many WS jobs available, so you have an excellent chance of being hired. Employers benefit by receiving a government subsidy when they hire WS students, so they are more likely to hire a student who is eligible for WS.

The WS program is a good way to help serve your community ( such as tutoring) and by working in areas related to your course of study.

Employers let you work a flexible schedule that won't conflict with your classes.

WS is a financial aid need-based program, so your income does not affect your future financial aid eligibility, even though it is taxable.

Your WS employer can become an excellent reference for your resume. Many employers are impressed with students who have work experience and who worked while attending college.

Work-study can be a valuable experience where you'll learn communication skills, time management, critical thinking, as well as special job skills such as using computers and office equipment.

Contact the Financial Aid Office at 870-864-7150 if you have more questions about the Federal Work-Study program.